Become a Foster Volunteer During National Foster a Pet Month, and Beyond!
If you’ve been around Dog Star Rescue volunteers, you’ve likely heard sayings along the lines of, “fostering saves lives” or “fosters are our lifeblood”. It may sound cliche, but foster volunteers have played a vital role in allowing us to place over 4,500 dogs in loving, forever homes.
What do we mean when we say “fostering saves lives”? Our Founder & President Dan McCabe says it best. “Every time a foster dog is taken into a home, a new slot is opened for us to rescue another dog,” he explains. “As a rescue, not a shelter, we cannot function without safe havens to house our dogs while we look for their forever family.”
Beyond simply providing a place for dogs to rest, fosters also help us find the best fit family by providing updates on how the dog is adjusting in a home, sharing photos for adopters to see, and telling us about their challenges, progress and best traits so we can ensure that once they are adopted, they are home for good.
So, what does being a foster entail? Here’s all we ask of our volunteers:
- You provide our dogs with a loving home where they can learn and grow until their perfect fit family is ready to adopt them.
- You make yourself available to our screeners and provide us with updates on your foster dog.
- You live in the metro Hartford CT area to allow for proximity to our weekly events.
- You transport your foster dog to and from our adoption events, or set up alternative transportation.
And what’s in it for you? Besides dog kisses and the unexplainable joy of seeing a rescue animal blossom in your care, we also provide our foster volunteers with:
- A designated foster coordinator to help select foster dogs that will best fit your household.
- All the supplies you may need, including food, crates, beds and toys. You will never be responsible for medical or other expenses!
- A supportive community of fellow dog lovers.
- Training support from our behavior team.
If you’ve ever considered becoming a foster, join us this National Foster a Pet Month and help us save more lives. Our dogs need you, and once you meet them, you might just realize that you need them, too. Apply online to become a foster.