Veterans Adoption Process
Here are the guidelines for veterans interested in working with DS4V to adopt a dog:
- Veterans will complete and submit an adoption application either online or at an adoption event.
- Proof of military service with a U.S. Military ID Card will be required by all military applicants, either designating active duty or an honorably discharged veteran.
- For all veterans, DS4V requires a letter from their personal physician attesting to the veterans suitability for a companion dog.
- DS4V will interview each veteran applicant to understand their home environment needs, and what each applicant is looking for in a companion dog. The screening will be done by volunteer staff within DS4V.
- DS4V will meet with veterans at their homes and conduct home visits as appropriate and needed for the life of the dog. Additional home visits will be scheduled as appropriate after an adoption to ensure the dog match is perfect. This is part of the contracted agreement between a veteran and DS4V.
- DS4V will pay half the fee for one 6-week required basic skills obedience training session post adoption to a veteran. The training must be done through a pre-approved list of trainers and not to exceed a $200 direct cost to DS4V.
- DS4V will pay 100% of the adoption fee for disabled veterans, which is currently set at $450.
- DS4V will pay 50% of the adoption fee for honorably discharged or active duty veterans, which is currently set at $225.
- Upon completion of the 6-week training session, each veteran will receive a dog tag with their dog’s name and date of adoption. A training certificate will be required as proof of the completed training. Veterans will allow DS4V to have access to veterinary records for the life of the dog, this is part of the adoption contract.
Additional Adoption Benefits through DS4V:
DS4V has entered into a partnership with Dr. Nicole Sabo/Veterinary Care Everywhere for discounted veterinarian services. Dr. Sabo's mission is to, "Provide Quality Pet Care to the Disabled, Veterans, and the Elderly." Dr. Sabo offers low cost, house-call service including basic vaccinations and wellness exams.
Veterans who adopt a dog through DS4V, will have access to Dr. Sabo’s services as mentioned above.Website: www.vetcareeverywhere.org
For additional information or questions, please contact the DS4V Program at: email@example.com