Guidelines and Requirements for Adoption
Dog Star Rescue is looking for long-term forever homes for our well-deserved pups. Our goal is to place dogs in their forever home as quickly as a great match is found. You should complete and submit the Adoption Application as soon as you are ready to bring a dog into your home. By doing so, you can become “pre-approved” and will be ready to take home that special dog as soon as you find him/her.
The pre-approval process:
- Our adoption process starts with completion of our adoption application
- Our adoption process also includes a vet reference check, interview, home visit and/or meet and greet with family members
- If you already have other animals in the home and have picked the perfect pet for you, we also require a pet meet and greet so we can ensure that we feel the pets will love each other as much as you love them.
- The pre-approval process does take several days so we appreciate you understanding that our dedication to being thorough is so that we can ensure our dogs go to the best homes for them.
- Our adoption fee is $450. If you are ready to adopt, please complete the Adoption Application.
What to expect
While this may seem like a lot to go through, we try our very best to match the right type of dog with the right family.
We do consider your home environment, lifestyle, and experience level when we match you to a specific dog.
We look for a stable home environment, so all family members will need to be on board and renters will need to give permission to talk to their landlords.
We will call your veterinarian to ensure current and/or previous pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and well cared for. Applicants who have never owned a pet before will need to provide personal references.
All of our dogs must be kept indoors as family members and cannot be left alone for extended periods without proper care, including dog walkers, doggie daycare, and/or pet sitters.
We encourage all new dog owners to attend dog training classes to help acclimate you and your dog to their new home. We can provide excellent recommendations for trainers in CT.
You must be willing to give your new dog time to acclimate to your home. Proper introductions to family members and other household animals is critical and may take some time. Adopters need to allow their adopted dog time to decompress and adjust to their new routines. This may take two weeks to several months depending on each individual dog’s personality and your home environment.
If for any reason you are no longer able to care for your DSR dog you will need to return the dog to our organization. DSR dogs cannot be turned into a shelter or resold.